Saturday, April 3, 2010

Removing Easter Egg Dye from Hands

Happy Easter Saturday! The Easter preparations are underway.

After enjoying a morning at the park, the Minis were thrilled to come home and dye Easter eggs. Unfortunately, Freshy has not mastered using an egg dipper, and resorted to sticking his hands in the cup. The results:

If only he were wearing green tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't think this look would work with his seersucker suit and watermelon tie.
To clean his hands I first tried antibacterial foaming handwash. It made zero difference (actually, they looked a bit brighter green!).

Second, I tried dish detergent, and his hands still looked like they belonged to a mutant Smurf Hulk boy (and this was after some serious scrubbing):

Lastly, I made a thick paste with baking soda, and it worked great. There is still a slight tint in the hard-to-scrub crevices, but I'm hoping a bath will finish it off:


Thankfully, Chicky is a much neater egg-dipper. Now, if only baking soda would remove the "learning-to-ride-a-bike-with-no-training-wheels" marks:

Have a wonderful Easter!





2 comments:

Helene said...

Wow!!! Baking soda can be used for so many things it's amazing!! I'm gonna have to try that next time the kids get their hands stained with magic marker! I don't know why they insist on coloring all over themselves instead of on paper!

Kmama said...

LOL at his hands. Ahh, freshy. I hope you had a good Easter!!