Friday, March 6, 2009

Attention Easter Fashion-easters


Easter is my favorite holiday. Okay, I admit it, I say that about Christmas and Halloween, too (three-way tie). In any case, besides the real meanings of the holiday, I also love the kickoff to spring fashion!

On Easter I dress the minis very traditionally (and that may be an understatement).

Chicky's attire includes: Straw hats or bonnets, puffy spring dresses, gloves (if she'll wear them), spring dress coats, ruffle socks, and leather or patent leather mary janes.


Master Freshington's attire includes: Shortalls, knee socks, and white leather or saddle shoes. NOTE: If Auntie Fashionista is reading this, I PROMISE he will be in long pants this year-cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in each eye.

Freshy's First Easter.

As you can tell, he didn't care for this beautiful Sarah Louise bubble.

These styles aren't for everyone, I realize, but my shopping strategies should work for most.

Shopping Strategies

  • I'm not a big "in store" shopper (I prefer to shop online due to lack of time); However, after Easter and Christmas I always make it a point to drop by a Marshall's or TJ Maxx to check out their clearance holiday clothes. I know, I know...the last thing you want to think about after all the rigmarole of a holiday is doing it again. I swear it saves stress and money in the long run if you just suck it up and make a couple quick stops. I have had luck on a few occasions, finding beautiful dresses, coats, and shoes by designers such as Ralph Lauren, Sarah Louise, and Biscotti. I then buy a size bigger and stash it away for the next year. Mimi Fashionista does the same, and has also had really good luck finding clothes for the Minis at those stores and at Filene's Basement.
  • Go to expensive websites and find the clothes you like but cannot afford. Write down the designer and style names. Google them. You'll be shocked at what 20 minutes of clicking can uncover. Also, if you don't have any luck, try a different search engine. I usually use http://www.dogpile.com/ (which compiles 3 or 4 different search engine results).
  • Check ebay or other auction sites. I have had amazing luck on ebay. I got Chicky the most beautiful $200 Susanne Lively Christmas dress for $20 (new, never worn!). I have also purchased a brand new $90 eton suit for Liam for $5, and several other designer dresses for $20 or less. Go to websites like http://www.bestdressedchild.com/, find the designers you like, and then go to ebay to search. Enter the designer and size (e.g., "Sarah Louise 4").


Tip: for coordinating sibling outfit ideas, check out http://www.woodensoldier.com/.

0 comments: